Most people know what to do if they are preparing for a storm to hit or if they are girding for another kind of natural disaster. If you live in Florida and you see divorce as your only way to escape from a deteriorating marriage, you may not even begin to realize all the large and small tasks ahead.
To put it in business-type terms: Divorce is a major restructuring of each aspect of your life and it’s time to get prepared.
Start out organized and think ahead
If you had a formal wedding when you married, you probably remember that you had lists of things that had to be handled and plans on how to make everything work. Getting divorced is a lot like having a wedding in reverse. You have to be just as organized and detail-oriented, and you need a to-do list.
Here are some of the things you need to do first:
- Get your financial paperwork together.
- Make lists of your assets and debts.
- Make note of anything that you think might be personal, not marital property.
- Start working on a post-divorce budget so that you can address issues of support
- Consider future living plans, including what to do about the family home
- Consider important talking points for custody negotiations
- Make a list of financial concerns, including insurance issues
There’s so much to do and sort out, but you don’t have to do it alone
Take control of your future. If you’re ready to get your divorce started, learning more about your rights and the divorce process can help you decide your next steps.